Examine the figures in the table below and answer the following questions:
1. How big a problem were child and adolescent death in British coalmining in 1838?
2. What were the most likely causes of death in each of the three age groups? (You may wish to use percentages)
3. What do these figures reveal about the division of labour between adults, adolescents and children in coal mines?
4. Are there other causes of death which are not mentioned in the table but which may have been work- related? What are these other causes of death?
5. How reliable is this type of statistical evidence in assessing industrial working conditions in England in the nineteenth century?
6. What other types of evidence would you need in order to make a fuller assessment of working conditions in British industry?