|TI-83 Data Operations
(1) To setup STAT PLOT for plotting data:
See pages 12-34 and 12-35 of the TI-83 Guidebook for complete details and instructions
or page 52 of the Technology Supplement.
(2) To enter data into columns L1 and L2:
STAT - 1(Edit) - ENTER followed by entering the data into columns L1 and L2.
Usually, L1 contains the input and L2 contains the output.
(3) To display graph of data entered into L1 and L2 enter sequence:
ZOOM – 9 (ZoomStat) – ENTER
(4) To fit data entered into L1 and L2 enter sequence:
STAT – CALC – followed by moving the cursor to the fit desired – ENTER
Fit desired will appear on the screen then enter 2nd – L1 – , – 2nd - L2 – , - VARS
– Y-VARS – 1 (for Y1) - ) – ENTER
(5) To display residuals (RESID):
2nd – LIST – Select RESID from the list – ENTER
After LRESID appears on the screen enter STO – 2nd – L3 – ENTER whereby the residuals will appear in L3. To view the residuals enter STAT – 1 (EDIT) – ENTER. Residuals are displayed in the L3 column.
(6) To get sum of squared errors (SSE):
2nd – LIST – MATH – 5 -ENTER
After “sum(“ appears on the screen enter ( - 2nd - LIST - Select RESID - ENTER - X2 - ) - ENTER . Sum of residuals squared will appear on the screen.
(7) To determine the computed values of the dependent variable from the model
VARS - Y-VARS - FUNCTION - Select Y1 - ( - 2nd - L1 - ) - STO - L4 - ENTER
Computed values for the dependent variable that are stored in L1 will appear in L4.
To view these values enter STAT - 1(Edit) - ENTER . Move cursor to L4.
(8) To have r (correlation coefficient) and r2 (coefficient of determination) appear when
performing a regression on the data (page 12-23 of the TI-83 Guidebook):
2nd - CATALOG - move cursor to DiagnosticOn - ENTER
(9) To reset the calculator to original factory settings (pages 18-5 and 18-6 of the TI-83 Guidebook)
2nd - MEM - Select RESET - DEFAULTS