No lead-based paint containing more than .5 of 1 percentum lead by weight (calculated as lead metal) in the total nonvolatile content of the paint, or the equivalent measure of lead in the dried film of paint already applied, or both, or with respect to paint manufactured after June 22, 1977, no lead-based paint containing more than .06 of 1 percentum lead by weight (calculated as lead metal) in the total nonvolatile content of the paint, or the equivalent measure of lead in the dried film of paint already applied, or both, shall be used in the construction or rehabilitation of residential structures under this contract or any subsequent subcontractors.
Authority: This amendment is made under provisions of 5 USC 301, 40 USC 486 (c).
Done at ____________, ______________________________ this _________
day of ________________________, 19____.
Rural Development Representative
V SUMMARY: Section 401 of the Lead-Based Paint Poisoning Prevention Act as amended by the National Consumer Health Information and Health Promotion Act of 1976, PL 94-317, provides a requirement that each federal agency issue regulations and to take such other steps necessary to prohibit the use of leadbased paint on all applicable surfaces in Federal and Federally-assisted construction or rehabilitation of residential structures. The Lead-Based Paint Poisoning Prevention Act, PL 91-695, January 13, 1971, provides for grants to units of general local government in any state for the purpose of detecting and treating incidents of lead-based paint poisoning. Title II of this Act also provides for grants to the same units to identify those area of risk including testing to detect the presence of lead-based paint on surfaces of residential housing.
(5-12-87) SPECIAL PN
RD Instruction 1924-A
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Notice to Purchasers and Renters of Housing Constructed
Warning - Lead-Based Paint Hazards
If the home you intend to purchase or rent was built before 1978, it may contain lead-based paint. About three out of every four pre-1978 buildings have lead-based paint.
NOTICE ABOUT LEAD
WHAT IS LEAD POISONING?
Lead poisoning means having high concentrations of lead in the body. LEAD CAN:
o Cause major health problems, especially in children
under 7 years old.
o Damage a child's brain, nervous system, kidneys,
hearing, or coordination.
o Affect learning.
o Cause behavior problems, blindness, and even death.
o Cause problems in pregnancy and affect a baby's normal
WHO GETS LEAD POISONING?
Anyone can get lead poisoning, but children under 7 years old are at the greatest risk, because their bodies are not fully grown and are easily damaged. The risk is worse if the child:
o Lives in the older home (built/constructed before 1978,
and even more so before 1960).
o Does not eat regular meals (an empty stomach accepts
lead more easily).
o Does not eat enough foods with iron or calcium.
o Has parents who work in lead-related jobs.
o Has played in the same places as brothers, sisters, and
friends who have been lead poisoned. (Lead poison
cannot be spread from person to person. It comes from
contact with lead.)
Women of childbearing age are also at risk, because lead poisoning can cause miscarriages, premature births, and the poison can be passed onto their unborn babies.
(05-04-94) PN 223
RD Instruction 1924-A
WHERE DOES LEAD POISONING COME FROM?
The lead hazards that children most often touch are lead dust, leaded soil, loose chips and chewable surfaces painted with lead-based paint. A child may be harmed when it puts into its mouth, toys, pacifiers, or hands that have leaded soil or lead dust on them. Lead also comes from:
o Moving parts of windows and doors that can make lead
dust and chips.
o Lead-based paint on windows, doors, wood trim, walls and
cabinets in kitchens and bathrooms, on porches, stairs,
railings, fire escapes, and lamp posts.
o Soil next to exterior of buildings that have been
painted with lead-based paint and leaded gasoline dust
in soil near busy streets.
o Drinking water (pipes and solder).
o Parents who may bring lead dust home from work on skin,
clothes, and hair.
o Colored newsprint and car batteries.
o Highly glazed pottery and cookware from other countries.
o Removing old paint when refinishing furniture.
In recent years some uses of lead in products that could cause lead poisoning have been reduced or banned. This is true for lead in gasoline, lead in solder used in water pipes, and lead in paint. Still, a great deal of lead remains in and around older homes, and lead-based paint and accompanying lead dust are seen as the major source.
HOW DO I KNOW IF MY CHILD IS AFFECTED?
Is your child:
o Cranky? o Unable to concentrate?
o Vomiting? o Hyperactive?
o Tired? o Playing with children who
o Unwilling to eat or play? have these symptoms?
o Complaining of stomach
aches or headaches?
These can be signs of lead poisoning. However, your children might not show these signs and yet be poisoned; only your clinic or doctor can test for sure.
RD Instruction 1924-A
WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT LEAD POISONING?
Your child should first be tested for lead in the blood between the age of 6 months and 1 year. Ask the clinic or your doctor to perform the test during a regular checkup. Your doctor will tell you how often you should have your child tested after that. A small amount of lead in the blood may not make your child seem very sick, but it can affect how well he or she can learn. If your child does have high amounts of lead in the blood, you should seek treatment and have your home tested for lead-based paint and lead dust.