Kristi Watterberg, MD
Professor and Chief
Division of Neonatology
Education and Honors:
1969 Michigan State university, BA; 1980 University of New Mexico, MD; 1983 Pediatrics Residency, University of New Mexico; 1985 Neonatology Fellowship, university of New Mexico. Certification: 1981 Board of Medical Examiners, Diplomate; 1985 Board Certified, Pediatrics; 1985 Board Certified, Neonatal/Perinatal Medicine
1967 Honors College, Michigan State University; 1969 Phi Beta Kappa, Michigan State University; 1969 Magna Cum Laude, Michigan State University; 1978 Lang Award, University of New Mexico School of Medicine; 1979 Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Medical Society Scholarship; 1979 Alpha Omega Alpha, University of New Mexico School of Medicine; 1980 American Medical Women's Association Certificate of Achievement 2001 Glenn Peake Award, Outstanding Clinical Investigator, General Clinical Research Center, University of New Mexico
Clinical trials and study design; adrenal function in newborn infants; glucocorticoid therapy and pharmacokinetics in newborn infants; bronchopulmonary dysplasia; perinatal inflammation
10 Key Publications:
1. Watterberg KL, Scott SM: Evidence of early adrenal insufficiency in babies who develop bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Pediatrics 1995; 85:120-125.
2. Scott SM, Watterberg KL: Effect of gestational age, postnatal age, and illness on plasma cortisol concentrations in premature infants. Pediatr Res 1995; 37:112-116.
3. Watterberg KL, Demers LM, Scott SM, Murphy S: Chorioamnionitis and early lung inflammation in babies who develop bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Pediatrics 1996; 97:210-215.
4. Watterberg KL, Scott SM, Naeye RL: Chorioamnionitis, cortisol and acute lung disease in very low birth weight infants. Pediatrics 1997; 99(2) (URL: http//www.pediatrics.org/cgi/content/full/99/2/e6).
5. Watterberg KL, Scott SM, Backstrom C, Gifford KL, Cook KL: Links between early adrenal function and respiratory outcome in preterm infants: Airway inflammation and patent ductus arteriosus. Pediatrics 2000; 105:320-324.
5. Watterberg KL, Gerdes JS, Cook, KL: Impaired glucocorticoid synthesis in premature infants developing chronic lung disease. Pediatric Research 2001; 50:190-195.
6. Watterberg KL, Gerdes JS, Cole CH, Aucott SW, Thilo EH, Mammel MC, Couser RJ, Garland JS, Rozycki HJ, Leach CL, Backstrom C, Shaffer ML: Prophylaxis of early adrenal insufficiency to prevent bronchopulmonary dysplasia: a multicenter trial. Pediatrics 2004; 114:1649-1657.
7. Watterberg KL, Shaffer ML, Garland JS, Thilo EH, Mammel MC, Couser RJ, Aucott SW, Leach CL, Cole CH, Gerdes JS, Rozycki HJ, Backstrom C. Effect of dose on response to ACTH in extremely low birth weight infants. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2005; 90:6380-6385.
8. Shaffer ML, Watterberg KL. Joint distribution approaches to simultaneously quantifying benefit and risk. BMC Medical Research Methodology 2006; 6(48).
9. Watterberg KL, Shaffer ML, Mishefske MJ, Leach CL, Mammel MC, Couser RJ, Abbasi S, Cole CH, Aucott SW, Thilo EH, Rozycki HJ, Lacy CB. Growth and neurodevelopmental outcomes after early low-dose hydrocortisone treatment in extremely low birth weight infants. Pediatrics 2007; 120: 40 - 48.
10. Fernandez EF, Montman R, Watterberg KL. ACTH and cortisol response to critical illness in term and late preterm newborns. J Perinatol. 2008; 28:797-802.