|Public Record Office
(now known as
National Archives of England)
A New History of Gloucestershire, Cirencester: Printed by Samuel Rudder, 1799.
p. 143f. Donations to the Monastery of St.Peter at Gloucester - “down to the year 1263.”
p. 144. Bockholt - In the year 1121, Helyas Giffard, and Ala his wife, their son Elias, granted to the monks of Gloucester, by deed which they laid upon the altar, their land in Bockholt, the woods and the plains estimated at half an hide and half a yard land, free from all services to the King, and discharged of all other customs, except danegelt to the King. This was executed whilst William was abbot.
In the year 1096, Helyas Giffard gave to the Church of St. Peter of Gloucester, a parcel of woodground with three cottages; which grant was confirmed by King William the Second in the time of abbat Serlo. [Serlo was abbat during reign of William the Conqueror; 4th Dean of Salisbury; made first abbat in 1117; died 1147.]
p. 144. Boytone [Bitton] - Helias Boy Giffard, for the soul’s health of Berta his wife, and his ancestors, gave to the monks of St. Peter of Gloucester, the church of St. Mary Boyton, and the church of St. George de Orcheston, with the chapel of St. Andrew of Winterborn, with the lands, tithes, meadows, pastures, ways, paths and whatsoever appertaineth to the said churches, saving the tenure of the church of Finetenay. This was given in the time of abbat Hameline.
Walter Giffard, son of Helias, granted and confirmed to the church Boyton to the monks of Gloucester, with all its appurtenances, with half an hide of land in the same vill, with a building for eight oxen, one beast, and 122 sheep; and all the tithes of the whole vill, both of the demeane lands and of the tenant lands, and of all things of which good Christians ought to pay tithes. This was in the time when Hameline was abbat.
Helias Giffard laid claim to the Church of Boytone. Abbat Thomas Carbonell, for peace sake, granted him the church of Ortheston, with the chapel of Winterborne reserving the church of Barton. The lord Goseline, bishop of Salisbury, granted and confirmed to the convent of St. Peter of Gloucester, the gift made by Helias Giffard and Walter his son. John bishop of Salisbury confirmed and ordered, by virtue of his episcopal authority, that the church of Barton should pay 40s. a year to the monks of Gloucester to keep hospitality.
p. 145. Cranham - Helias Giffard, son of Helias the elder, and Ala his wife, when he became a monk, gave Cranham to St. Peter, and to the monks of Gloucester, serving God, in the time when Hameline was abbat.
p. 150. Seldene - Henry de Pomeroy gave Seldene to the church of St. Peter of Gloucester, reserving to himself two shillings as an acknowledgement. His heirs confirmed this grant, and released two shillings.
p. 151. In the year 1167, when Hameline was abbat, Helias Giffard, the younger, and Berta, his mother, gave to God and St. Peter, eight libratas of land in Willingwyke, and the abbat restored to them Cranham, which his father gave to them when he was made a monk. Helias their son, confirmed the same. Berta, the wife of Helias Giffard, gave to the church of St. Peter of Gloucester, certain lands in Willingwyke, on which he had built at his own charges. This was done when Hameline was abbat.
Note: There were additional references of interest on pp. 146, 147, 148, 285, 309, 310, 396, 662, 663, but the book was so “over-sized” it did not lend itself to the copier or scanner
Historical, Monumental and Genealogical Collections Relative to the County Gloucester: Printed from the Original Papers of the late Ralph Bigland, Esq., Garter Principal King of Arms - London, MDCCLXXXVI.
p. 539. Eastington - Inscriptions in the Church:
In the Chancel: On a blue marble slab, the Effigy of a woman in a Mantle bearing the following Arms: Quarterly, 1. Argent, a Bend Sable, with a Bordure engrailed Azure, Knevet; 2. Argent a Bend Azure, and Chief Gules, Cromwell; 3. Chequy Or and Gules, a Chief Ermine, Tatshall; 4. Chequy Or and Gules, a Bend Ermine, De Cailli, or Clifton; 5. Paly of six within a Bordure bezante; 6. Bendy of six a Canton. Four corner Escocheons: 1. as before, 2. on a Lozenge, Quarterly, 1. Knevet; 2. Cromwell; 3. Tatshal; 4. Cailli; 5. De Woodstock; 6. Paly of six within a Bordure, bezante; 7. Bendy of six a Canton; 8. Or, a Chevron Gules, Stafford; 9. Azure a bend cottifed [cottised], between six Lioncels rampant, Or., De Bohan. The others effaced - Inscription round the Verge: “Here lyeth Elizabeth Knevet/ Daughter of Sir Will. Knevet, Knight, whiche Elizabeth deceased on first Day of December in the year of Lord God M.D. and CVIII on Whose Soule Jesu have Mercy. Amen.”
She was the daughter of Sir William Knevet, Knt. of Buckenham Castle, in the County of Norfolk, by Joan his second wife, Sister of Edward Duke of Buckingham, commonly styled Lady Beaumont. [Blomefield’s Norfolk, Vol. 1, p. 257.]
Calendar of the Records of the Corporation of Gloucester, compiled by W. H. Stevenson, Gloucester, 1893.
#742. [1296-7] - Release from Laetitia of Cors, daughter and heires of Loretta the Callow (la Calue), to John Prior of the Hospital of St. Bartholomew, and the Brethren of the same of an annual rent of 6d. that her father and mother were wont to receive from the land of the Hyde near Gloucester. Witnesses: Henry the Draper, and Hugh the Clerk; Bailiffs: Philip the Spicer, Walter Seuarne; John the Draper.
#849. 1324-5, March 7. Surrender by Henry of Heyhampstude [Hampstead], lorimer, to the Prior and Brethren of the Hospital of St. Bartholomew of a piece of land pertaining to a tenement in Gloucester that they had demised to him for the term of his life, lying in the great sout street against the pillory. Witnesses: John of Cheddeworth, and Thomas of Foxcote, Baillifs: Andrew of Penedok; John of Northwych; Philip of Calewe; Nicholas of Longeneye, draper; Elias of Longeneye.
#919. 1344, March 28 - Release from Margery, daugher and heir of William of Aleynesmor’, late burgess of Gloucester, to William Ragonn, burgess of Gloucester, of her right in a messuage in Gloucester in Ayllesatestrete, anciently called ‘Juweryestret’, lying between the tenement of the late Adam Gamage and the tenement of the late John Jonkyn and Agnes his wife. Witnesses: Henry Draper & Hugh of Chiew, Bailiffs; John the Walsshe; William Crisp, ‘merchaunt’; Robert atte Caluwe; Walter Stout.
#932. 1347, April 12 - Grant from Agnes, widow of John, son of Philip of the Bothhalle, to Richard Shot, burgess of Gloucester, of 5s. of annual rent from her messuage in the suburb of Gloucester without the northgate between the lane called ‘Fetelone’ and the land of Dom. Richard Hornare, chaplain, extending from the King’s highway to the land called Monkeleyston. Witnesses: William of Kyngeshawe and Robert the Walour, Baillifs; John Cluet; William Ragon; Robert Attecalewe; William Bruyn; Edmund of Cheddeworth.
#972. 1360, October 2 - Demise from John the Callow (le Calwe), burgess of Gloucester, to William Brownying, Prior of the Sepulchre of St. Mary near Gloucester, and the Brethren of the same, of a shop in Gloucester in the street called “Southgatestrete,” in which Nicholas the Parker dwells, and which the said John holds of the said Prior and Brethren by the yearly service of 12s. The conditions of the demise are that the Prior and Brethren shall, within the space of a year, repair the said shop, and shall retain it until they have defrayed the costs of the rent of the said shop, which is then to revert to the said John at the same rent as he paid before. Witnesses: Thomas of Ledeb[ur]i & Thomas of Stoke, Bailiffs of Gloucester; Thomas of Monynton; Robert of Aston; Richard Wantynge.
The Taxpayers of Medieval Gloucestershire (An Analysis of the 1327 Lay Subsidy Roll with a New Edition of its Text); Peter Franklin.
Gloucester (Villa Gloucestr.)
South Ward (Warda Australis)
Philip la Calewe 3s.
Cleeve Hundred (Hundredum De Clyve)
Matthew le Calewe 21 3/4d.
“Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucester Archealogical Society,” Vol. XI:
A Domestic Outrage in Gloucestershire
About the Year 1220
By Sir Henry Barkly, K.C.B., G. C.M..B.
On the Close Roll of 6th Henry the third is an entry, which, apparently, escaped the notice of Dugdale, although it throws light on the genealogy of the Baronial family of
Giffard, and supplies indeed the name of a lord of Brimpsfield, whom he omitted from the pedigree.
It is the transcript [Vide Appendix A.] of a mandate addressed on the 27th Decr., 1221, to the Sheriff of Gloucestershire, directing him to deliver his prisoner, Matilda, relict of Richard of Acton, to Elyas Giffard and Osbert Giffard of Brimpsfield, who together with William Earl Marischal, William Earl of Salisbury, Osbert Giffard of Norfolk, Gilbert Giffard, and Elyas de Cailloue, have bound themselves that she will, before Easter next, assume the habit of a black nun, or that of the Convent of Semperingham.
No hint is given of the offence she had committed, nor of her relationship to her manucaptors, but on turning to the Assize Roll for this county of nearly even date*, a clue will be found to the solution of both questions [*Vide “Pleas of the Crown for the county of Gloucester in 5 Hen. III., edited by F. W. Maitland - London, 1884.”] The learned Editor, who appends a Note expressing curiosity as “to what happened in the end to the heroine of this queer tale,” (p. 143) will, I am sure, be glad to have his attention invited to this entry on the Close Roll. There are, as usual, slight discrepancies in the names, but the identity of the two stories is unquestionable.
Under the head of “Hundred of Agmead,” [appendix B.] it is set forth in the Presentment of the (Grand) Jury, that “Richard Butler, of Acton, was wounded* in his own house, it is unknown by whom, although his wife Matilda accused William Rous, formerly his servant. On being examined, she states that she had gone to walk in the garden at night with her maid, whilst her husband was having his feet washed by her daughter Amice; that she heard a noise, and on going to the house door saw William and another man with swords drawn near her husband; that they ran after her; but she escaped, and hid herself until they went away; her maid, however, being caught and bound. [*He must have lingered long, for it is shown in the proceedings that his wife was summoned in vain to two county courts prior to his death.]
The jurors evidently disbelieved her story, denying that Richard ever had such a servant, and alleging that she and her husband were perpetually at strife, and that he sometimes beat her because he accused her of light behaviour; that she often went off to the house of her father Elyas de Colewey,* or to the house of of Robert Wayfer, who had married her aunt; and furthermore that the said Robert and William Wayfer** and John of Fuestone, often came to the house of the said Richard, bringing her back with them, and threatened the said Richard. [*According to Dugdale (Baronage, p. 499), Elyas de Caillewe was a brother of Elyas Giffard, who had assumed his mother’s surname. The later is variously spelt, but was, I take it, the original of the modern Cayley.] [**Would someone remind me where this Wayfer/Wayfir name shows up in another document?....SUW.]
Wherefore the jurors of Agmead firmly believe that the aforesaid William and John slew him by the counsel and wish of Matilda herself and bribed by her thereto. The jurors of Grumboldsash Hundred* concur in this opinion. [*Agmead Hundred was fined only one mark for this murder “qua parvum,” p. 121. It probably could not furnish a full Jury of Freeholders, and hence those Grumboldsash were called in. Eventually it merged in that Hundred.]
Judgment is thereupon deferred till one month after Michaelmas (that is till the King’s court sits at Westminister.).* Bail being meanwhile exacted for Amice, the daughter of the said Matilda. The reason of this last order is not very obvious. The girl can hardly have been suspected of complicity in her father’s murder, but she may possibly have given false evidence at her mother’s dictation. [*Mr. Maitland shews in a note that the Judges of Assize were directed to adjourn all difficult cases to Westminster, and observes that this was “loquela ardua” because Matilda would not submit to trial (p. 144).]
What became of the perpetrators of the outrage does not appear. Probably they were suffered to “abjure the realm,” and sought perchance to expiate their crime by a pilgrimage to the Holy Land.
Matilda herself doubtless remained in the custody of the sheriff, though perhaps not committed to Gloucester goal till judgment was pronounced. In any case she is not likely to have been hardly dealt with, for the sheriff, Ralph Musard, was connected by marriage with her uncle.* Seclusion in a nunnery for the rest of her life was the severest punishment inflicted on her. Perhaps the severest such a woman could receive. [*According to the pedigree in Dugdale, Elyas Giffard had married Isabella Musard.]
The bearing of this case on the early administration of criminal justice I leave to be discussed by those more competent. It is well worthy of record, if only for the light it throws on the domestic life of the period. Looking at the high standing of the Giffard family, attested on this occasion by the fact that their co-sureties were: - the Earl Marischal, whose father, just deceased, had been Guardian of the Kingdom; and the Earl of Salisbury, the famous Longsword, son of King Henry II. by Rosamond Clifford; two of the chief nobles of England; it is impossible to come to any other conclusion than that the manners and customs of the English aristocracy at the time were coarse and brutal; such in fact as would now be deemed disgraceful in the lowest class of the community.
Appendix A. is (in Latin) Rotulus Litterarum Clausarum - anni sexti Henr’i tercii-prima pars, memb. 16. [which I will not type here - but we have a xerox copy.....SUW].
There is a reference to “Sempringham,” “a Gilbertine Priory in Lincolnshire, founded by Gilbert de Gaunt in 1139 ‘as a new model of religious life’ and doubtless stricter in rule than most nunneries.”
Appendix B. (in Latin) is Hundredum de Aggemede, No. 111 (which I will also not type here, but refer to the xerox copy....SUW].
“Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucester Archaelogical Society,” Vol. 14 (for the year 1899-90).
pp. 32-34. [an article about the Le Brun family property]
12. From Adam Kaily and Thoms de Gardinis, for one knight’s fee in Side and Gardino, of the fief of John le Brun, 40s.
The Manor of Side, in Rapsgate Hundred, which had belonged at Domesday to Ansfrid de Cormeilles, continued in the possession of his descendant, Walter de Cormeilles, during the reign of John (fn2). Upon the partition of the Barony among Walter’s three daughters in 1218, it must have gone to Richard le Brun (fn3) who [p. 33] had married the second, and from him descended to his son the above-named John. The Kaily family--its sub-tenants--were feoffees of the Giffards in Wiltshire, (fn1) and had inter-married with them on several occasions. Adam, though apparently only a cadet, had obtained the land of one of the daughters of Richard Giffard, and succeeded in her right, on the death of Osbert her brother, to this sub-enfeoffment in Side, as well as to an interest in lands in other counties (fn2).
The association of his name with that of Thomas Gardinis in this Return, can mean no more than that the combined holdings of the two made up the knight’s service for which their overlord was answerable. There was certainly no connection between the manors named, as shown by their appearing in Kirby’s Quest under distinct headings, the half fee in Side being then held by (p. 34) Simon de Caly (fn1), under Simon de Crome, and that in Duntisborne and in “Gardino,” by Thomas de Gardinis, jointly with Henry de Lega--in both cases of John le Brun, son of the preceding John........etc.
p. 32. fn2. Vide Trans. Bristol and Glouc. Arch. Society, Vol. XII, p. 253. This effectually disposes of Sir Robert Atkyns’ assertion that “Side came soon after the Conquest” to the Giffards of Brimpsfield; although it will be seen from what follows that a scion of that House was sub-enfeoffed therein before the close of the 12th century, presumably through marriage with a daughter of the House of Cormeilles.
fn3. Not as Fosbroke suggests, to Hugh Giffard, the husband of the eldest, neither of whose sons inherited an acre in Side.
p. 33. fn1. Elyas de Kailleway appears in the Wilts Returns (Testa de Nevill, pp. 142 and 157) as joint holder of four fees under Elyas Giffard (IV), whose sister Berta he had married; two of them are said to be in Kaillewent, which looks as if the name were of territorial origin, though the “de” is often omitted. Perhaps it was derived from “Caillou,” a flint, as it is occasionally spelt so. The spelling in fact was so various,--even sometimes in the same document, that no conclusion can be come to.
fn2. This information is derived principally from Bracton’s recently published Note Book. In No. 1717, A. D. 1226, Oxon., Osbert Giffard calls Elyas Giffard (IV) to warrant a fee which the latter’s grandfather Elyas (III) had given to his nephew Richard Giffard (presumably the Justice Itinerant of the reign of Hen. II.) which fee seems to have been made over by Richard’s son Osbert, to Adam de Kaylli and his wife Mabilia. In No. 671, A. D. 1231, Kent, Warin de Montcheney claims and obtains the homage of Adam de Kaylli and Mabilia, as well as that of Matilda Giffard, and of Isabella de Freville, in respect to a fee in that county; the two former ladies pleading that it had been granted to their father, Richard Giffard, and had come to them on the decease of their brother Osbert. The third, Isabella de Freville, is shown by a reference in Dugdale’s Baronage (Vol. I, p. 501), to have been the widow of this Osbert (and not, consequently, I may add, of the Osbert supposed by him, who did not die until 1247 (Cal. Geneal., p. 28). We are thus enabled to comprehend the entry on the Close Roll of 15th Hen. III, quoted by Fosbroke, as to a suit brought by Ralph de Wylington and Olimpias his wife, against the same defendants, with the addition of the Prior of Lanthony, with regard to their tenancy of three hides of land in Side. This was the extent of the whole manor at Domesday, and it may be inferred that Adam de Kaylii and his wife (called in the Close Roll Matilda, probably a mistake for Mabilia) became seized of it after the death of her sister, and of her father’s widow, since we find that in 1255 Matilda Kaylli passed a fine of half a knight’s fee in Syde, and of the fourth of a fee in Stoke Giffard and Brimpsfield, in favour of one Adam de Crumbe, on condition of his paying her 100s. and undertaking the services required of her by John Giffard and John le Brun (Pedes Finium, Glouc., 39th Henry III, No. 420). There seems no means of deciding whether this Matilda was the widow, or daughter, of Adam de Kaylli. The tenancy of Side by Simon de Caley in 1285, would be more easily accounted for on the former supposition, but it seems odd if she had a son that she should have sold the superiority of the lands.
p. 34. fn1. The way in which Side shortly after this date became the property of the Giffards of Brimpsfield is not altogether clear. In the General Inquisitions as to their Heirs, taken in 1st Edw. III. (Cal. Inq. p.m., No. 84), it is stated positively that the manor was purchased from Adam Cayley by John Giffard, senior, and settled on his third wife, Margaret Nevill. This marriage cannot have taken place later than 1286, as her son, the second John Giffard, was born on Midsummer day in that year (Calend. Geneal., p. 28) but the settlement may hve been post nuptial, and made at any time before her husband’s death in 1299. The difficulty is that, as has been shown, Adam had then been dead between thirty and forty years, and it can only, I think, be solved by assuming that the jurors of 1326, after the lapse of nearly as long a period, had forgotten that the christian name of the vendor was in reality Simon. That juries were by no means infallible is evident, for in one of the two Inquisitions as to Side, in this very escheat, it is affirmed that the manor was held of John de Crome, whilst in the other John Giffard is said to have held it “in demesne as of fee” on the day he died. In neither case is any allusion made to the overlordship of John le Brun, which had evidently ceased to be more than nominal. Perhaps the motive of the latter declaration was, that Side, having been made over by Margaret Nevill (who still survived) to her unfortunate son, had been confiscated after his execution in 1322, and granted by the crown successively to Hugh le Despenser, John Maltravers, and Thomas de Berkeley. The last named continued in 1346 to hold it as half a fee, but, strange to say, his predecessor (c. 32nd Edw. I.) is called Robert de Kailly, showing how loose and perfunctory was the record of christian names in such documents.
p. 141. ”PYCHENECUMBE”
Abstracts of Original Documents in the Registers of the Abbey of St. Peter, Gloucester.
Communicated by The Rev. John Melland Hall, M. A.
[NOTE: Pitchcombe is in the parish of Standish, and apparently the property of several families including the le Brets (name spelled variously Bret, Bryt, Birt). The only reference of interest is the name of John de Caillewe in a list of witnesses to the series of documents in regards to Pitchcombe, etc, covering the years 1294 to 1329. Strangely, though, is a chart at the end of this article implying that John de Caillewe was the son of an unnamed sister of Walter le Bret.
TABLE OF DESCENT.
Richard le Bret = Eva.................
“de Pynchecumbe” |
Walter le Bret = Nicholla, da. of Sir William |
| Maunsel, of Lypiatt Manor .............................
| John de Caillewe,
| “nephew of Walter
_________________________________ le Bret,” living 1329
Thomas “de Holecombe” = Alice Juliana.
or “le Bret”
(dead in 1311, v. No. 368)
p. 328. SEVENHAMPTON
By The Rev. John Melland Hall, M. A.
Rector of Harescombe with Pitchcombe
[It is mentioned] in the Domesday Survey of 1086 that Sevenhampton is a portion of lands appertaining to the Church of Hereford, and in connection with Prestbury, with which, as it was in a different Hundred, it would appear to have become in some manner incorporated.
It is recorded ----
“In Cheltenham Hundred, the bishop of Hereford holds Presteberie”.......etc.
“To his manor is adjoined a Ville Sevenhamtone outside this hundred (of Cheltenham).
[This article goes on to give a detailed account of the manor of Sevenhampton.. Some records, c1289+, are of interest]:
The Household Roll of the same prelate (Richard Swinfield), published by the Camden Society, contains many interesting particulars. We have a picture of 13th century life presented to us -- Christmas was to be kept at Prestbury.