In this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Clinically ill" means an illness that is apparent to a veterinarian based on the veterinarian's observation, examination or testing of an animal or on a review of the animal's medical records.
2. "Nonelective surgical procedure" means a surgical procedure that is necessary according to commonly accepted standards of veterinary medicine to preserve or restore the health of the cat or dog, to prevent the animal from experiencing pain or discomfort or to correct a condition that would interfere with the cat's or dog's ability to walk, run or jump or to otherwise function in a normal manner.
3. "Pet dealer" means a person who owns a pet store.
4. "Pet store" means a commercial establishment that engages in a for profit business of selling at retail cats, dogs or other animals, but does not include commercial livestock operations and commercial livestock auction markets. Pet store does not mean a publicly operated pound or a private, charitable not-for-profit humane society or any animal adoption activity that a pound or humane society conducts off site at any pet store or other commercial enterprise.
5. "Purchaser" means a person who purchases any cat or dog without intent to resell.441799