|CHAPTER 1 – Test Bank
1. The term “prehistory” means
a. before people wrote history books.
b. before people had written language.
c. before people had libraries.
d. before people could count.
e. before people could talk.
2. The term “Paleolithic” refers to
a. the Old Stone Age.
b. the Middle Stone Age.
c. the New Stone Age.
d. Old Stones.
e. the Old Dispensation.
3. Old Stone Age people
a. had stone houses.
b. used stone tools.
c. worshipped in stone temples.
d. built stone tombs.
e. used stone for building.
4. The term Homo sapiens literally means
a. simple man.
b. stupid man.
c. stoic man.
d. wise man.
5. A good example of a Paleolithic sculpture-in-the-round is
a. the Venus of Laussel.
b. the Tuc d’Audoubert Bison.
c. the Venus of Willendorf.
d. the Wandjina.
e. the Mimi hunters.
6. The main shapes in the Venus of Willendorf are
7. As used in this text, a relief refers to
a. a rest.
b. a vacation.
c. a category of sculpture.
d. a painted image.
e. a post-and-lintel.
8. Which of the following is a logical interpretation of the Venus of Willendorf?
a. an obese figure.
b. a wealthy figure.
c. a fertility figure.
d. a pregnant figure.
e. a blind figure.
9. Pigment is
a. a racial characteristic.
d. painted relief.
10. Paleolithic art has been found in the form of sculpture, friezes and paintings, but ________ is the earliest.
a. the “fertility figurine” like the Venus of Willendorf
b. the animal frieze at Lascaux
d. the animal frieze at Altamira
11. The artists at Lascaux and Altamira seem to have done their art as
a. decoration for the cave.
b. part of a ceremony to ensure success in the hunt.
c. the totem of the tribal chief.
d. an ex-voto for a man killed in a hunt.
12. Which of the following is NOT Paleolithic?
a. Venus of Laussel
b. Handprint of Pech-Merle
c. “Mother Goddess” from Tarxien
d. Stag from Lascaux
13. The most important Paleolithic cave paintings are located in
d. both Spain and France.
14. Which of the following does NOT have a representation of a bison?
c. Tuc d’Audoubert
d. La Madelaine
15. Which term is NOT related to making sculpture?
16. A kiln is used
a. for cooking dinner.
b. for heating pigments.
c. for baking clay.
d. for cooking herbs.
e. for drying wet paint.
17. The so-called Shaman cave painting is at
18. Who of the following was never involved in studying cave paintings?
b. Henri Breuil
19. By definition, Paleolithic paintings are not
a. endowed with life.
d. designed to conjure up game for hunters.
20. The caves at Altamira share what in common with Lascaux?
a. they are in France
b. they are in flat, lake country
c. they contain remarkable Paleolithic depictions of animals
d. All these answers are correct.
21. When an animal’s body is shown in perspective but with its head shown full front, the artist is using
a. twisted perspective.
b. atmospheric perspective.
c. linear perspective.
d. aerial perspective.
22. Lascaux cave paintings of animals could be described as
a. painted relief.
c. old fashioned.
e. stick figures.
23. Which of the following is NOT found at Lascaux?
a. a horned owl
b. a stag
24. Paleolithic paintings of animals usually have been found
a. in the uninhabited depths of caves.
b. at the mouths of caves.
c. in Neolithic shelters.
d. on rock faces open to the light of day.
25. In which of the following modern countries have the fewest number of megaliths been found?
26. To what does the Aboriginal Dreaming most refer?
a. Australian rituals
b. Australian myth
c. Australian dreams
d. Australian art
e. Australian folk tales
27. Which is NOT a subject of Aboriginal rock painting?
28. The oldest known Aboriginal rock painting style is
29. Wandjina are
a. Mimi hunters.
b. Aboriginal kangaroos.
d. cloud spirits.
e. Aboriginal X-rays.
30. Taboo means that something or someone is
a. a saint and a sinner.
b. good and evil.
c. sacred and profane.
d. magic and sacred.
31. Civilization received its greatest push forward from the
a. discovery of fire.
b. agricultural revolution.
c. discovery of the potter’s wheel.
d. domestication of animals.
32. An important cultural change from Paleolithic to Neolithic is
a. from nomadic to agricultural.
b. from megalithic to caves.
c. from pottery to sculpture.
d. from warlike to peaceful.
e. from illiterate to literate.
33. Which of the following is NOT connected to Malta?
34. Which of the following is NOT a Celtic term?
d. Hal Saflieni
35. A trilithon is a
a. basic single post-and-lintel form.
b. three posts-and-lintels.
d. basic three-part painting.
e. triple stone.
36. Stonehenge dates from the ________ period.
b. Late Jurassic
37. Stonehenge is located at
a. Marlborough Downs.
e. Salisbury Plain.
38. Which of the following is NOT connected to Stonehenge?
a. Aubrey Holes
d. Marlborough Downs
e. Heel Stone
39. Which is true of the Beaker People?
a. they hunted ducks
b. they were nomads
c. they made pottery
d. they destroyed Stonehenge
e. they were literate
40. The last Ice Age in western Europe occurred around
a. 18,000 to 15,000 B.C.
b. 25,000 to 22,000 B.C.
c. 100,000 to 98,000 B.C.
d. 52,000 to 50,000 B.C.
e. 12,000 to 11,000 B.C.
41. The sun rises over the Heel Stone at Stonehenge at
a. the winter solstice.
b. the summer solstice.