Attachment No. 1
PROPOSED STATE STANDARD,
TITLE 8, CHAPTER 4
Amend Section 1635 to read:
§1635. Floors, Walls and Structural Steel Framed Buildings.
(b) For multifloor structural steel framed buildings more than two stories high, the following shall apply: These provisions shall apply to buildings erected in tiers or stories and shall not apply to steel framed buildings having large open spans or areas such as, mill buildings, gymnasiums, auditoriums, hangars, arenas, or stadiums.
(1) The derrick or working floor of every building shall be solidly decked over its entire surface except for access openings.
(2) There shall be a tight and substantial temporary floor within two floors below and directly under that portion of each tier of beams on which erection, riveting, bolting, welding or painting is being done. For operations of short duration of exposure to falling, fall protection shall be required as set forth in Article 24 and Section 1710.
(8) Floor planks or metal decking that are temporarily removed for any reason whatsoever shall be replaced as soon as work requiring their removal is completed or the open area shall be properly guarded.
(9) Prior to removal of temporary floor planks
, or metal decking, employees shall be instructed by assigned supervision the steps to be taken to perform the work safely and in proper sequence.
(10) When gathering and stacking temporary floor plank on a lower floor, in preparation for transferring such plank for use on an upper working floor, the steel erector's personnel shall remove such plank successively, working toward the last panel of such floor, so that the work is always being done from the planked floor.
(11) When gathering and stacking temporary floor planks from the last panel, the steel erector's personnel assigned to such work shall be protected by a personal fall protection system used in accordance with Article 24 and Section 1710.
(12) The sequence of erection, bolting temporary guying, riveting and welding shall be such as to maintain the stability of the structural frame at all times during construction. This applies to the dead weight of the structure, plus weight and working reactions of all construction equipment placed thereon plus any external forces that may be applied.
(13) Where a building is being constructed in sections, each section constitutes a building.
(14) Personal fall protection and nets shall be required in accordance with Article 24 and Section 1710.
(15) No person shall proceed with any work
assigned to or undertaken by him, or require or permit any other person to proceed with the work assigned to or undertaken by either, unless the planking and metal decking, or nets required by this article are in place.
(c) Special Provisions Applicable to Floor Openings. Section 1632(b) applies to floor openings at locations where steel erection work is taking place. This subsection applies where work is in progress that requires floor openings to be uncovered. For such work, all of the following requirements shall apply:
(1) The floor or working level where such work is in progress shall be under the exclusive control of the steel erection employer and shall be barricaded to prohibit entry by unauthorized personnel.
(2) The floor area adjacent to the floor opening shall be barricaded or the floor opening shall be covered when not attended by steel erection personnel.
(3) All planking and other materials used to cover floor openings shall be capable of safely supporting the greater of 400 pounds or twice the weight of the employees, equipment and materials that may be imposed on any one square foot area of the cover at any time. The cover shall have not less than 12 inches of bearing on the surrounding structure.
(4) All floor opening covers shall bear a sign stating, “OPENING-DO NOT REMOVE”, in 2 inch high, black bold letters on a yellow background.
(5) The placement of covers shall be verified by a qualified person prior to each shift and following strong wind conditions.
(6) Workers shall be instructed and required to adhere to the following:
(A) Keep covers in place when not engaged in work requiring the opening to be uncovered, and
(B) Never remove a cover by walking forward or by stepping into an area where they cannot directly observe the surface their feet will touch.
(7) After work requiring floor openings to be uncovered has been completed and prior to allowing other trades in the work area, the guarding and covers for floor openings shall meet the provisions of Section 1632(b).
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Sections 142.3,
5260, 7101, 7102, 7103, 7104, 7105, 7107, 7108, 7109, 7251, 7252, 7253, 7254, 7255, 7256, 7257, 7258, 7259, 7261, 7262, 7263, 7264, 7265 and 7266, Labor Code.