UNOFFICIAL COPY AS OF 04/10/16 10 REG. SESS. 10 RS HB 513/GA
AN ACT relating to books for preschool children and making an appropriation therefor.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky:
SECTION 1. A NEW SECTION OF KRS CHAPTER 171 IS CREATED TO READ AS FOLLOWS:
(1) The Books for Brains Program is hereby established. The purpose of the program shall be to promote the development of a comprehensive statewide initiative for encouraging preschool children to develop an appreciation of books.
(2) Program funds shall be used to provide appropriate books on a regular basis to each registered child who is zero (0) to five (5) years of age in participating counties. Books shall be provided through a collaborative arrangement with a private nonprofit organization that will select and mail the books. The program shall be attached to the Department for Libraries and Archives for administrative purposes.
(3) (a) The program shall be governed by a board consisting of seven (7) members appointed by the Governor for a four (4) year term except for the initial terms. The membership shall include at least one (1) county judge executive, one (1) Head Start director, one (1) public librarian, and four (4) other early childhood advocates. The members shall reflect the geographic diversity of the state. The initial appointments shall be as follows:
6. Submit an annual report by October 1, of each year to the Governor and the Legislative Research Commission.
SECTION 2. A NEW SECTION OF KRS CHAPTER 171 IS CREATED TO READ AS FOLLOWS:
(1) The Books for Brains Program trust fund is created as a separate restricted fund. The trust fund shall be administered by the Department for Libraries and Archives and shall consist of funds from state appropriations, gifts, grants, and any other funds from the public and private sectors. The board established by Section 1 of this Act may solicit, accept, and receive contributions from the public and private sectors.
(2) Notwithstanding KRS 45.229, trust fund amounts not expended at the close of a fiscal year shall not lapse but shall be carried forward to the next fiscal year.
(3) Any interest earnings of the trust fund shall become a part of the trust fund and shall not lapse.
(4) The board may use trust fund moneys, including the investment income, for the purposes set forth in Section 1 of this Act.
(5) Amounts in the fund are hereby appropriated for the purposes set forth in Section 1 of this Act.
SECTION 3. A NEW SECTION OF KRS CHAPTER 171 IS CREATED TO READ AS FOLLOWS:
The Department for Libraries and Archives shall promulgate administrative regulations to establish the procedures for working with local partners to provide books for a registered child. The administrative regulations shall include: