UNOFFICIAL COPY AS OF 04/19/16 06 REG. SESS. 06 RS HB 448/GA
AN ACT relating to agricultural development.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky:
Section 1. KRS 248.707 is amended to read as follows:
(1) The Agricultural Development Board is created as a political subdivision of the Commonwealth to perform essential governmental and public functions by administering funds to provide economic assistance to the agriculture community of the Commonwealth. The board shall be a public agency within the meaning of KRS 61.805, 61.870, and other applicable statutes.
(2) The board shall consist of sixteen (16)[fifteen (15)] members as follows:
5. The director of land-grant programs at Kentucky State University; and
(b) Eleven (11) voting members appointed by the Governor, who shall be geographically distributed throughout the state and subject to confirmation by the House of Representatives and Senate as provided in KRS 11.160(2). The members shall be as follows:
1. Seven (7) active farmers, at least four (4) of whom shall be from counties that are substantially tobacco-impacted, as determined by a formula that includes tobacco income as a percentage of total personal income in the county, and at least two (2) of whom shall have experience in agricultural diversification;
2. One (1) representative of the Kentucky Farm Bureau;
(3) The members appointed under subsection (2)(b)2. and 3. of this section shall be chosen from a list of three (3) nominees submitted to the Governor by each of the respective organizations.
(4) Consideration shall be given to racial and gender equity in the appointment of board members.
(5) The majority of the voting members shall be active farmers.
(6) Members of the board shall be reimbursed for expenses incurred in the performance of their duties.
(7) Except as provided in paragraphs (a) to (d) of this subsection, the terms of the members appointed by the Governor shall be for four (4) years and until their successors are appointed and confirmed. A vacancy on the board shall be filled for the remainder of the unexpired term in the same manner as the original appointment. Members may be reappointed. The initial appointments shall be for staggered terms, as follows:
(a) Two (2) members shall be appointed for one (1) year;
(b) Three (3) members shall be appointed for two (2) years;
(c) Three (3) members shall be appointed for three (3) years; and
(d) Three (3) members shall be appointed for four (4) years.
(8) The Governor shall convene the first meeting of the board by August 1, 2000.
(9) The board shall meet monthly, or at the call of the chair or a majority of the voting members.
(10) A quorum of the board shall consist of nine (9)[eight (8)] voting members. A majority of the voting members present may act upon matters before the board.
(11) The board shall be attached to the Office of the Governor for administrative purposes.